Sunday, April 12, 2009

Prologue to my newest story

I'm staring at the cold, polished stone. The stone inscribed with the words that make it final. Those cruel words that remind me of what happened just weeks before...

I refuse to break down again, though, as I stand there. I don't want to be like that, but finally, I break. I can't hold in the tears that have been threatening to spill for the better part of ten minutes. The hot tears pour down my cheeks as the words sink in for seemed like the thousandth time.

"Why? Why did you have to... leave me... like this?" I ask, gasping for breath that won't come. "You should... be right here... n-n-now...y-you sh-shouldn't have l-left!"

Standing here on this beautiful June morning, as the sun shines brightly and birds sing sweet songs, I wait for the answer that I know will never come.

After a while of standing in front of your grave, I finally sit down next to the headstone; I want to talk to you in the solitude of the moment, so I decide to take my chance.

"I'm done crying now," I say softly. "I just wanted to tell you about... the beginning of... the school year. You always asked and... you deserve to know... even if it is..." My throat catches on the words 'too late'. I don't want to admit that I could have just told you about this so much earlier, especially when the question came up so often, but I'd never thought it was that important until now.... Until you were gone.

This is the prologue. I know it's on my other blog, as well, but I just wanted it on here before I went any further. Comment please!

6 comments:

  1. "Anyway... that peek... was amazing. It made seriously, seriously want to read the rest of your story, and the emotion was so... there, that I could almost feel through the character. :'( Really well-written."
    -My Comment on Leah's "My Story" blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. And I know you can't wait to read more. And I can't even withdraw you from it without feeling guilty about my other readers having to wait. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* I suppose I should put up what I have of the first chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think you should edit it to say "July".

    Unless their schoolyear starts in August. Then it would be fine. ^^

    Sorry for being all uptight and stuff.

    If I ever find anything to critique you on, I'll do grammar/spelling cuz that's what I always end up editing at school when we do group editing on each other's papers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh... right. July. It's okay. I do need some critiquing once in a while.

    ReplyDelete